Saturday, June 26, 2010

Don & Tony's 10 Anniversary Celebration, May 11, 1980

A limited edition poster by Neon Cactus in Santa Monica documents the highlights in their relationship: parties, travel, campaigns, family, friends, protests, celebrations, blowjobs, etc.

From a handwritten note (Don to Tony) on their 1st anniversary:

One year ago this night I was looking for someone to share the evening with me. The person I found (in the Mayfair parking lot) was you. And since that night we have been together. Our friendship grew, our love for one another grew; our faith in God also grew. One year, it's like a one year old baby -- and now our relationship must mature...

From a handwritten note (Don to Tony) on their 2nd anniversary:

The Red Tailed Hawk is a symbol of our love. Society or our culture tries to prevent it from maturing, and being lovers we also stand somewhat alone among the majority of gays. Yet as the cover [photo] shows the light from God- Nature- the gift of living will keep our love and [our] dreams grow every stronger.



3 comments:

Tony J. Karnes said...

I am Tony Karnes! I am not dead! Don Amador and Harvy Milk and I along with our son, Jeff Elser shared history together. Don died in the early 1990's. I currently live in Long Beach California with my spouse of 25 years Elliott J. Winston and our son Fillmore (yorki/chihuahua mix.) How can I contact the author of this blog to set the story straight? I would love to once again posess these pics/notes of me and Harvy and Don Amador.
Harvy Milk was my best friend! Im witness to this very important history and am still very much alive! See what happens when I leave the room for juat a few minutes...it all gets f'd up!

Barry Harrison said...

That's great to know and I apologize sincerely! Haven't been able to login to the blog to access it until today and I will go ahead and make the corrections!

Barry Harrison said...

Tony, please email me directly and we can arrange to return your items to you. harrisonbarry@hotmail.com